Sunday, July 8, 2007

Hunting for Wild Art


I've now been an intern at the Tri-City Herald for about five weeks now. It's been great experience so far and they thankfully don't just jerk me around and send me to shitty intern-ish assignments. I do, however, get sent on a lot of wild art hunts like the staffers. Being new to the area, this is tough for me. Even tougher is the fact that I'm usually on the hunt around noontime. Aside from the fact that this is a time of inactivity in the day (though it's gotten much better since school let out), the light sucks.

With the triple-digit heat we've been having out here, I was inevitably sent out to seek some heat-related wild art. I already had a kid in the sprinkler run the day before, so I tried to find something different. The ducks and geese caught my eye, as they weren't even heading to the water—just hiding out in the shade except for a couple who I guess were working on their tan. Then I happened across a family heading out for some wakeboarding and they graciously let me tag along, so I got to throw on some shorts and hang out on a boat for an hour.

Sometimes this job really rocks.

No comments: