Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Brush(fire) with death.

Well, not really, but it was a little scary for a bit. I had my yellows on and a firefighter drove me down to where they were starting a burn out to try and hold the fire at this road. I figured they'd kick me out when they started things up, but they didn't, and despite my chauffeur assuring me that he wouldn't ditch me, he did. The wind was blowing pretty hard in the wrong direction and they were worried about it jumping this road. All of a sudden, there were big flames to my left and right and the wind was blowing all the heat and smoke right at me. I stuck to a U.S. Fish and Wildlife firefighter who said "Fuck!" at least a couple times when we had to pause for an extra thick wave of smoke and heat. I thought for a moment about what my exit strategy would be should it get worse and couldn't really figure anything out. Just after we passed where they burn out had reached, it jumped the road 15 or so feet behind us. I snapped this when it jumped again and they called in the air tanker to help keep the jump from spreading.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Your yellows were probably Dupont-brand name Nomex.

Next time you go out on a fire, be aware of LCES.

Lookouts
Communication
Escape Routes
Safety Zones

I doubt you'll have a radio, so focus on the last two.