Monday, April 7, 2008

One of those days

As I started the last half of my eight-day week, I was optimistic. My weekend assignments hadn't been too fun, except for hanging out with the Long family for a bit on Sunday.

"Today will make up for it," I thought.

I understand the job isn't non-stop great assignments, but the trying weekend came at a craptacular junction of having turned 25 away from family and close friends and wrapping up my third week of quitting smoking.

The day started with some feature hunting, which can be tough on Mondays. After a brief cruise, I got a call about a house fire on Pasco-Kahlotus Road—about 30 minutes northeast of the Tri-Cities.

The fire ended up being fairly minor (visually) with an unusual number of responders, partially due to the fact that a fire station happened to be a couple hundred yards away. I headed out, but turned back after two miles because another fire engine was heading toward the house. It still looked pretty tame.

I headed back toward the office until I got a call about a truck in flames that had some oxygen tanks on it. This was way outside of Prosser—about an hour west of the Tri-Cities. After driving the whole length of Bert James Road, six miles of which was gravel full of twists, ups and downs.

As you may have guessed, there was no sign of a truck. I did come across an interesting house that had a back yard full of old vehicles. I stopped and left a card, trying to get a potential future story out of the deal, but as the case has been numerous times, somebody from the Herald had already been in contact.

As I headed back on Highway 240, a brilliant rainbow appeared. I took the first exit and tried to find some clean context to put it against.

Can you see where this is going?

I made my way down to the river in under five minutes, but the rainbow had faded by then. As I grinded my teeth to their roots through the park on the way back to the office empty carded, I stopped to snap this:


That's right. My day of wild goose chases ended with an shot of wild geese drinking rain water from the road.

No comments: